Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Week 17 - The Most Eligible Bachelor in San Se

Work has started finally. There are no more teacher strikes to contend with, no more Holy Weeks to navigate, and no more excuses from our CTA (Coordinador Téchnica Administrativa, the superintendent of our schools). Well, sort of…

We were originally assigned 34 schools in which to implement the Healthy Schools program. Of that list, two have been struck. The CTA tells us that they are simply too far to walk to, and no reliable transportation exists to those sites. Ergo, we have 32 schools in total. I still feel more than a little bit guilty that those students are to be deprived our program solely on the virtue of living where they do. I tried to explain to the CTA that I signed up for a certain amount of hardship, and that hiking for a few hours to get to a school was part of that. I even told him about the marathon hike completed in Week 11. No dice. Either for my own safety or his, he’s vetoed those two schools.

In the meantime, Lauren and I visited seven schools last week, and our stated goal is to visit each school three times by the end of September when the year ends. I know that sounds like a pretty weak goal—to me too—but the number of fíjese que’s and holidays promote it from a slacker’s goal to a realist’s.

Lauren, the CTA, and I visited those seven schools in just two days. While my partner and I had the desire to visit many more, the rate-determining factor was, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future, the CTA. The difficulty arises from the fact that we have been strongly advised to get our CTA’s personal introduction to each school. It gives us legitimacy and, even more pragmatically, a guide who actually knows where we’re supposed to go.

After waiting a week to get a response to the numerous phone and in-person messages left with his secretary, I thought that our CTA was somewhat lazy, or at least did not view us with as much seriousness as we were expecting to receive. However, I’m starting to give him the benefit of the doubt that he’s just really busy. It still is a little annoying that he can only commit two or three half-days per week to our visits, but it’s better than nothing. Once we get properly introduced to each school, Lauren and I are planning on dividing them by size, proximity, and expected reception by the teachers. Having only 16 schools to go to on my schedule will be a lot quicker, but I will still not be able to go to more than one or two schools per day given the baseline surveying I will have to do in each, and the spotty modes of transportation between each site.

Of our school visits, one particularly stands out: Tuitzín, our school on top of a mountain. We had a car, but I foresee having to walk all the way up once I’m on my own. It’s at least 12,000 feet of elevation, more than a mile straight up from where I live, and it shows. When the students play soccer on their makeshift field, they’re extremely careful with their shots; if they’re even a little off-target they risk having to run essentially to the mountain’s base to get the ball back.

Our visits themselves are pretty generic right now. We call all the teachers into the principal’s office, where the CTA describes a little bit about Healthy Schools and how we’re from the US and to be respected. Then I get up and—in Spanish, of course—describe what we’re here to do and, more importantly, what we’re not here to do.

I explain that our phase of Healthy Schools is a program aimed at the adults of the school. We will give trainings to teachers, directors, and the PTA on how to teach their students to live more healthily and practice good hygiene; in general we will not be teaching the kids themselves. We expect to see what we’ve taught the teachers to be reproduced in the classroom at least twice per week.

I also explain that Lauren and I personally do not have any money. We are of course happy to help schools find funding for health-related development projects like water faucets, toilets, and subsidized snack time, but simply asking us for 10,000Q will get you nowhere. Even the Peace Corps as an organization does not give out grants in this fashion, and the sooner people stop assuming that I’m a rich gringo with money to burn the better.

Finally, Lauren and I explain the rough requirements of becoming a Healthy School:
  1. Conduct health lessons at least twice per week in the classroom.
  2. Each classroom has a “health nook” where students can store their toothbrush, paste, and other hygiene tools.
  3. At least 75% of students practice healthy habits on any given day (washing hands before using the bathroom, washing hands before snack and brushing teeth after, having  a reasonably clean body and clothing.
  4. The school has water at least 5 days per week for the 5 hours that class is in session, has at least one water faucet per teacher for students to practice their habits, and the school is free of trash and other refuse.
  5. The teachers and PTA are trained in the design and management of small school-improvement projects.
  6. The teachers, school board, and PTA have a nutritious snack program for the students.
They seem like pretty simple things, especially in the timeframe of two years that we have to implement it. However, behavior change is hard, and a realistic goal is about 25-30% of our schools becoming certified as a Healthy School by the time we leave.

So far the teachers seem pretty receptive, but it’s hard to tell when we’re only spending about an hour at each school, lecturing at people who are usually older than me. I automatically have prestige since I am, unlike the teachers or principals, college educated and viewed (despite my protests) as a rich American. However, the only real conclusion that I can draw is that to the younger female teachers I’ve suddenly become the most eligible bachelor in San Se. I really can’t tell what working with them will be like for the next 23 months, but am firmly convinced, in this case at least, dating someone I work with is a very bad idea.

I was stupid and forgot to bring my camera both days we visited schools. Therefore, the only picture I’m leaving you guys with is of my “About Me” poster that I present at every school. Most teachers are shocked by the pictures of snow—something they have heard of but most have never seen—and that I only have one sibling. https://picasaweb.google.com/sigrinj/Week17?authkey=Gv1sRgCKKayOHZkbTmfg#

No comments:

Post a Comment